Friday 21 October 2016

"The Pains of My Helpless Mother Made Me Join The Medical Field" - Student Doctor

A sad but rather inspiring piece by a doctor in training, Kamai Nkeki Yahi, about how the pains of his helpless mother and neglect by nurses on duty made him choose to become a doctor, read his story after the cut...

Today being my first day at surgery reminds me of an event that happened some years ago. I was in Jss2 by then when my mum fall sick. I was with her at the hospital, she was helplessly convulsing and I went to report to the nurses on duty.

Those nurse were there busy gisting while my own mother is helpless. I felt seriously bad but then what can I do? I looked at them and said to myself that, "SURELY I SHALL BE A DOCTOR SOME DAY"! That was how I grew up with the dream of becoming a medical doctor.

I wish I can locate those nurses to actually thank then for creating a challenge in my heart! As we journey through life, we certainly meet so many people. Some would be blessing to us while other teach us life long lessons.

As my journey in the medical field continues, I pray that God will grant me a heart full of compassion that would not just consider patients as mere cases, but regard every single patient as a human just like myself or any other member of my immediate family. So help me God!!!

No comments:

Drop Your Comments